Volunteering at Sidney Museum
The Sidney Museum connects its visitors to their communities, their world, and to each other. It’s our hope that when you volunteer at the Sidney Museum we inspire you with the amazing, one of a kind objects in our collection and that you impart a sense of wonder and share stories about your Sidney Museum discoveries with our visitors.
With our ever-growing number of visitors, and extensive collections of over 9,000 objects and more, we need additional help to inspire curiosity, create engagement, and connect generations. As a volunteer you will join our already diverse and vibrant volunteer community that brings a variety of different skills and experiences to the Sidney Museum. We would be delighted for you to join our enthusiastic team.
The Sidney Museum recognizes that as a volunteer you give your time, abilities and enthusiasm freely to help us and we appreciate this significant support. As a Sidney Museum volunteer, you will have wonderful time as a valued, indispensable part of our team that strives to create a welcoming environment for our many visitors. In return, we hope to give you an opportunity to explore our vast collections, to learn new things, and to share your skills and interests while making great new friends.
Who can Volunteer?
We believe everyone has different skills and experiences to bring to the Sidney Museum, and hope to welcome you all. We will make every effort to find a volunteer role that fits your unique lifestyle and matches your skills and availability. Please note that this process may take time, as we might not immediately have a placement that fits your needs.
The majority of our opportunities require volunteers be at least 18 years old.
A few volunteer areas require museum membership and a donation while some roles involve working with children or vulnerable populations. Please be aware we reserve the right to require a background check to ensure a safe learning environment.
How Can I Become A Volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering with us, we would love to hear from you. Please check out our volunteer opportunities or contact us by e-mail.
We will then determine if there is a suitable placement for you and will inform you of the next steps to take in your volunteering journey.
We greatly appreciate your interest and hope to find a fantastic volunteering opportunity that fits your unique skills and interests. However, if we are unable to find a placement for you, we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and would be delighted to provide additional feedback.
The Sidney Museum will provide volunteers with:
- A rewarding and fulfilling experience, opportunities for intellectual and personal enrichment, and community involvement
- Respect and treat volunteers as a valued member of the team
- An understanding of the Museum’s Mandate, Vision, Values and Objectives
- A transparent and fair recruitment, selection and screening process, orientation, training and supervision for the position you accept
- Clear management practices and procedures
- Support and feedback on your performance
- Recognition for your contributions
- A work environment that is collegial and safe
- Invitations to volunteer events, such as advance exhibit openings.
The Sidney Museum asks that volunteers:
- Serve as an ambassador for the Museum
- Apply their skills, abilities and experience in support of the Museum’s initiatives
- Value all staff, volunteers and visitors and recognize the rights of all to be treated with respect and courtesy
- Welcome, direct your attention to, and engage visitors when in public areas of the Museum
- Demonstrate an enthusiastic and positive attitude, work with integrity and respect, and act as a steward of the Museum’s collections
- Support the staff and other volunteers of the Museum and accept their guidance and direction
- Avoid conflict of interest and keep confidential any proprietary information gained during your association with the Museum
- Participate in training sessions and meetings relating to volunteering
- Commit to an agreed upon number of volunteer hours